The role of large forest industries increased sufficiently
In the conditions of weak state control over the forests the role and responsibility of forest companies operating in Russia increased sufficiently.
Basic facts about today's Russian forest inductry:
- 21 largest industry holdings consume 23-25% of the wood supply and hold 40-42% of forest products sales.
- These holdings are usually created around big PPM but incorporate logging enterprises and often wood saw facilities.
- They are in a wide extend export oriented. So, Russia exports 85% of its pulp and paper products.
- Ironically some of these biggest enterprises play important role in destruction of intact forest areas, at least in European Russia.
- The companies are often very closed as concerns publicly available information about their activities.
The profiles of largest Russian forest companies.